Checking your weather


  • Auckland
    • Auckland
  • Canterbury
    • Ashburton
    • Christchurch
    • Timaru
  • Central North Island
    • Rotorua
    • Taupo
    • Tauranga
    • Whakatane
  • Hawke's Bay
    • Gisborne
    • Hastings
    • Napier
  • Manawatu
    • Dannevirke
    • Levin
    • Palmerston North
    • Whanganui
  • Marlborough
    • Blenheim
    • Kaikoura
  • Nelson
    • Motueka
    • Nelson
  • Northland
    • Dargaville
    • Kaitaia
    • Paihia
    • Russell
    • Whangarei
  • Wellington
    • Paraparaumu
    • Masterton
    • Wellington
  • Otago
    • Alexandra
    • Dunedin
    • Oamaru
    • Queenstown
    • Wanaka
  • Southland
    • Gore
    • Invercargill
  • Taranaki
    • New Plymouth
    • Taumarunui
  • Waikato
    • Hamilton
    • Te Kuiti
    • Thames
    • Tokoroa
  • West Coast
    • Westport
    • Greymouth
    • Reefton
    • Hokitika

Murderer who bashed paedophile declined parole

Paedophile Glen Stinson, 57, was beaten to death after being caught sexually abusing a young girl.

A murderer who took part in lynching a paedophile caught sexually abusing a girl the night he died, has been declined parole.

Bruce Raymond Tamatea, 56, was jailed for life with a minimum term of 10 years, after pleading guilty to murdering Glen Stinson​. 

Stinson, 57, died in July 2007. He was bashed to death by Tamatea and Aubrey Harrison, who was found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in jail, with a minimum non-parole period of 12 years.

A third person, a woman with name suppression, was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to three years' jail.

An unwanted murder victim
Pair given life for Foxton paedophile's murder
Murder-accused tells: 'I just wanted him to be scared'

Stinson was a convicted paedophile out on bail at the time of his death and awaiting trial for raping a girl younger than 12. He was at a party at Tamatea's Palmerston North home on the night he died.


He was found sexually abusing a 10-year-old girl and the woman attacked him in a rage before telling the party she was going to kill him.

Stinson was bundled into a car by the trio, who drove south to Himatangi, before continuing to Foxton. 

The woman, who gave evidence at the trial, said she thought they were just trying to scare Stinson.

Tamatea, who gave evidence in defence of the other two, said they only planned to give Stinson "the bash" and leave him behind.

But when the group got out of the car, Tamatea asked Stinson if he had anything to say to the woman, before hitting him in the head with a hammer, stomping on him and putting his foot on Stinson's throat to choke him to death.

Harrison was also involved in the assault, while the woman watched.

Stinson's body was left outside Turk's Poultry Farm. 

Tamatea became eligible for parole in September, but was declined an early release by the Parole Board.

In its decision, the board said Tamatea's rehabilitation was going well.

He had taken part in dependency treatment and Māori therapeutic programmes and was dealing with mental health problems.

A psychologist who saw Tamatea before his parole hearing said in a report Tamatea had heard voices in the past, and was taking medication for it and other issues.

The psychologist felt Tamatea needed further work to control his risk of reoffending, with a specific focus on developing insight into high-risk situations and coping strategies for violence and substance abuse.

He would also need to show he was able to manage "emotional discomfort" in a variety of settings and attend rehab if released from prison, the psychologist said.

The board said Tamatea was doing well in prison and his principal corrections officer indicated he could do more reintegration work.

"Matters need to be taken cautiously and gradually for Mr Tamatea," the board said.

"He is some distance from being able to satisfy the board that his risk is other than undue."

Tamatea was declined parole and will next be considered for early release in September 2018.

"We have made it clear to Mr Tamatea that we are offering no assurances about the outcome of that hearing, but we have also commended him on his progress and expressed the hope that it will continue."

Harrison will be eligible for parole in 2019.