Checking your weather


  • Auckland
    • Auckland
  • Canterbury
    • Ashburton
    • Christchurch
    • Timaru
  • Central North Island
    • Rotorua
    • Taupo
    • Tauranga
    • Whakatane
  • Hawke's Bay
    • Gisborne
    • Hastings
    • Napier
  • Manawatu
    • Dannevirke
    • Levin
    • Palmerston North
    • Whanganui
  • Marlborough
    • Blenheim
    • Kaikoura
  • Nelson
    • Motueka
    • Nelson
  • Northland
    • Dargaville
    • Kaitaia
    • Paihia
    • Russell
    • Whangarei
  • Wellington
    • Paraparaumu
    • Masterton
    • Wellington
  • Otago
    • Alexandra
    • Dunedin
    • Oamaru
    • Queenstown
    • Wanaka
  • Southland
    • Gore
    • Invercargill
  • Taranaki
    • New Plymouth
    • Taumarunui
  • Waikato
    • Hamilton
    • Te Kuiti
    • Thames
    • Tokoroa
  • West Coast
    • Westport
    • Greymouth
    • Reefton
    • Hokitika

Drunk woman stabs man in neck with broken bottle, misses jugular vein by 1mm

Christchurch woman Ribena Aratangi, 32, has admitted stabbing a man in the neck with a broken glass bottle.

A woman has admitted stabbing a man in the neck with a broken glass bottle, missing his jugular vein by just 1 millimetre.

Ribena Aratangi, 32, pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding with reckless disregard for the safety of the man in the Christchurch District Court on Monday.

Police said Aratangi and her victim were drunk when they bought more alcohol and cigarettes and went to sit in a park on Stanmore Road on March 4.

They shared the alcohol and cigarettes with another associate. Aratangi smashed an empty glass bottle and with the broken shards lunged forward and stabbed the man several times in the neck, leaving four wounds.

She ran off and he was taken to Christchurch Hospital for surgery.

Defence counsel Glenn Dixon said Aratangi then went to Cashel Mall where she approached a group of people and asked for help. She told them she thought she had murdered someone and they took her to a police station.

Before her guilty plea there had been two psychiatric reports completed for the court. Both said she had the ability to stand trial and be involved in the court process.

Judge Brian Callaghan agreed with the reports and remanded Aratangi in custody for sentencing on August 29.