Checking your weather


  • Auckland
    • Auckland
  • Canterbury
    • Ashburton
    • Christchurch
    • Timaru
  • Central North Island
    • Rotorua
    • Taupo
    • Tauranga
    • Whakatane
  • Hawke's Bay
    • Gisborne
    • Hastings
    • Napier
  • Manawatu
    • Dannevirke
    • Levin
    • Palmerston North
    • Whanganui
  • Marlborough
    • Blenheim
    • Kaikoura
  • Nelson
    • Motueka
    • Nelson
  • Northland
    • Dargaville
    • Kaitaia
    • Paihia
    • Russell
    • Whangarei
  • Wellington
    • Paraparaumu
    • Masterton
    • Wellington
  • Otago
    • Alexandra
    • Dunedin
    • Oamaru
    • Queenstown
    • Wanaka
  • Southland
    • Gore
    • Invercargill
  • Taranaki
    • New Plymouth
    • Taumarunui
  • Waikato
    • Hamilton
    • Te Kuiti
    • Thames
    • Tokoroa
  • West Coast
    • Westport
    • Greymouth
    • Reefton
    • Hokitika

Body in Woodhill Forest, Auckland confirmed as Carissa Avison

The body of missing 21-year-old Aucklander Carissa Avison has been formally identified.

Police have confirmed a body found in Muriwai's Woodhill Forest is that of Auckland woman Carissa Avison.

Avison, 21, had been missing since January 26.

Her disappearance sparked a large, but unsuccessful search effort which was called off after nine days.

Police recover Carissa Avison's body from Woodhill Forest.

On Wednesday a member of the public found Avison's body in the forest which backs on to Muriwai Beach on Auckland's west coast.

* Body found in Woodhill Forest
* Missing woman understood to have bought gun
* Police appeal for help finding Carissa

Avison was last seen on Coast Rd, Muriwai having got a ride there from Rosedale.

She was reported as missing having failed to turn up to her job at Auckland Transport.


Police released several CCTV photos of Carissa Avison to try and help find her.

"Worried sick" family and friends joined the large search around Muriwai which included Woodhill Forest.

Shortly after Carissa went missing, her brother Tyler Avison told media everyone who knew her was worried.

"Our family is worried sick and just want to know she is okay, we just want her home safe.

"Everyone's worried, everyone keeps calling me ... I'm the closest to her as we're only a year apart, when we were younger we were as thick as thieves."

Police released several images of Avison to try and help locate her.

Her death has been referred to the Coroner.